How to remove the message: ‘Username in use – the program cannot connect you at this time’
When I log into Sage Accounts I am informed that my username is already in use, what have I done, and how can I access my program?
Answer Sage Accounts does not allow you to log on if it still holds your username in the request list of people who are using the program. To correct this, please follow the steps below:
- If you are logged into Sage Accounts on another PC, you must log out of Sage on that PC before you can log on to Sage Accounts again.
- If you are not logged into Sage Accounts on another PC, this would suggest that the program or PC has crashed. You must remove your username from the request list. To do this:
- If the warning message is: ‘This username is in use. Do you want to remove this username from the request list and logon again?’ click Yes, then on the Confirm window, click Yes.
- If the warning message is: ‘This username is in use the program can not connect you at this time’ click OK, then follow the instructions below to identify the accounts data directory and delete the queue.dta file.
- Sage Accounts v11.xx and above including Sage 50 Accounts, the following message appears: ‘Sage Accounts has detected that your program was not properly shut down the last time it was used. We recommend that the company data files are checked for errors before being used again. Would you like Sage Accounts to check these files for errors now?’ To close the program, click Cancel. To check the files for errors and log in again, click Yes. To close the message and log in to Sage Accounts, click No, one of the previous messages now appears.
To identify the accounts data directory, please follow the steps below:
- From the Windows desktop, right-click the Sage Accounts shortcut then choose Properties.
- Click the Shortcut tab, select the text within the Start In box then right-click and choose Copy.
- Open the Start menu, choose Run then delete any text in the Open box.
- Right-click in the Open box and choose Paste. The Start In box text pastes.
- Sage 50 Accounts 2008 or Sage Instant Accounts v14 – From the end of the path delete the text Company.000.
- Click OK. The directory window opens.
- From the accounts directory double-click the Company file then from the list of available programs choose to open it in Notepad.
- The Company file shows the path to the data directory, for example, F:\Sage\Accounts or \\server\sage\accounts. You should take a note of the path to the data directory.
- To return to the Windows desktop close all open windows.
To delete the queue.dta file, please follow the steps below:
- From the Windows desktop, open the Start menu then choose Run.
- In the Open box, type the data path noted in step 8 in the previous section.
- Double-click the Accdata folder, select the queue.dta file, then press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- When prompted to confirm the deletion click Yes.
- To close Windows Explorer, and return to the Windows desktop, open the File menu then choose Exit.
You can now log on to Sage Accounts in the usual way.
Note: After removing your user name, or deleting queue.dta you should run the Check Data option.